A quick meal packed with lots goodness, this is very quick to prepare, and then just stick it in the oven and you have a cooked lunch or dinner for the children before you know it. You could either make it in single ramekins or use a bigger Pyrex dish and make one big one…which will also save on washing up and it will cool down quicker.
Egg and Cheese BakePrint Recipe
- 2 x 120g tins mackerel in tomato sauce
- 2 chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- Squeeze of a lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 3-4 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 eggs
- handful of breadcrumbs (optional)
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/Gas 5.
Flake the mackerel out with a fork and spread over the bottom of a 20cm square baking dish and mix with the mushrooms. Mash the avocado with the back of a fork and add the squeeze of a lemon then add to the dish followed by the tomatoes.
Now, crack the eggs on top (one is each corner) and swivel the dish around so that the egg white covers its corner well or beat the eggs first and then add to the dish (for a scrambled affect)
Finally, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs, if using, and the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the eggs are cooked on top and the cheese is bubbling.
* For a vegetarian dish, lightly fry some quorn mince with ½ tin of chopped tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of tamari and add in place of the mackerel * Keeps for up to 2 days in the fridge * Freezable for up to 3 months