When home late for lunch or dinner and the boys are hungry and impatient, I can rustle this up in five minutes. The boys like it. I don’t liquidize it but you could. Quick food doesn’t need to be unhealthy- you just need to think on your feet, look in the cupboards and get creating. Egg and toast is a great accompaniment.
5-minute soupPrint Recipe
- Knob of butter Cook time 5 minutes
- 1 fat garlic clove (crushed)
- 1x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1x 400g tin kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon of pesto (any kind)
- Tablespoon of dried basil or mixed herbs
- Half a tin of water (fill the tin from the chopped tomatoes half way)
- 4 heaped tablespoons of left over rice or pasta
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or balsamic
Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan, add the garlic and sizzle for 1 minute without letting the garlic brown.
Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes with the lid on. The soup should be steaming hot and left to cool before serving.
You could use quick noodles/pasta instead of left overs, just place the same amount in the saucepan and cook for an extra minute or so. Replace kidney beans for any other type preferred. Keeps for- Serve straight away Freezes well for up to 6 months.